Thursday, June 28, 2018

After reading both articles, I felt like the message from both authors ran along similar lines: that technology may be a useful tool in the learning process, it has gone beyond the classroom.  Technology has taken over every aspect of our lives.

As stated in, "The Flight from Conversation", Turkle asserts that we have gone from, 'I have a feeling, I want to make a call' to 'I have a feeling, I need to send a text'. There is safety in texting; and emotion is hard to read or often misread in text.

In the beginning of this article, Turkle makes the revelation that technology and our various hand-held devices not only change 'what we do, but who we are'.
I could not agree more with this statement.

One does not need to look further than Facebook to validate this statement.  On my own 'Friend' list, I see filtered photos, exaggerated commentary on relationships, and misrepresentation of status, financial, social and the like. And, if I am to be totally honest, I have also fallen into this trap from time to time.  I only post pictures of myself that I see as flattering; when I post about my family or my sons, I only post comments that show them in the best light.  I post pictures of family gatherings but do not discuss the tensions between this family member with that family member.  I make deliberate choices about  what  post because I make a conscious effort to present my life in a certain way.  Don't misunderstand me; I also post when I am miserable because I haven't slept and how much I hate the humidity. I show my humor and sometimes my choice in words are, let's say, colorful.  Should you visit my Facebook page, if you KNOW me, you will be able to tell when I am being authentic and when I am filtering what is posted.  Below is a picture I I would post (but did not because she is a current student of mine). 
I look happy, right!? 


But, this is how I felt that day due to behind the scenes stress and frustration!



The key here, is, if you KNOW me. If you know me.....

Turkle makes the statement that, 'Texting, email, and posting let us present the self we want to be'.  In these forms, while there is a connection, there is no conversation. Through feel life, face-to-face conversation, we connect on a deeper level than just script on a screen. While we can be connected to hundreds of people on various social media platforms, there is no way we can have meaningful conversations with that large a number.  

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/problem-texting-relationship

Technology is a wonderful tool.  It makes our day to day work easier; in the classroom, it opens the door to literally the world. At the same time, it has the power to isolate us, even in a room full of colleagues, a classroom full of students, and families at the dinner able.







4 comments:

  1. So true about truly knowing each other! To add to that, we also use Facebook as a way to boost our self-esteem through others, rather than through our own self-confidence. The number of likes determines how good I feel about myself in a given moment; I don't deny my guilt here! But it's hard to admit that that is what is happening here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Maria,

    Excellent Summary of the articles!

    People need human interaction. Human interaction supports our health and well-being. Sadly,children and adults do not know how to have a normal conversation anymore. I believe that learning is a social aspect of all humans. Humans learn by interacting with each other.

    I truly believe that technology is destroying the meaningfulness of interactions we have with others.

    Social support and social interaction have a positive influence on human beings' physical and mental health. So we need to keep on interacting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything stated! It's scary how much screen time and exposure to electronic devices kids are exposed to younger and younger ages. We are teaching them at a young age to interact with a device instead of the people around you and we see it taking over our society. So although I think it's great they can use technology it's also important we don't forget life skills like conversation as a form of communication.

    ReplyDelete